Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Old Fuse Box

In our basement, like other homes, we had a fusebox near a high window.

In over 30 years, I never touched it. I've always been deadly afraid of electricity...not to use it...but to change a fuse. That was considered a 'man's job'.

Back then when a fuse blew, we usually had an extra in our house. If not, we'd march to the hardware store where we would explain what we wanted, and it would be brought to us with a smile.

Today, I think these maybe no longer exist. We have a modern 'circuit breaker'.

Mine is great if you're 6 feet tall. Since I'm short, I have trouble holding a flashlight to read the writing on the different breakers. If I have a problem, I usually just move each one separately until I find the culprit.

In July, Jeff and Donna, and Harriet and I will be going to Ft. Myers to visit Thomas Edison's home....the primitive beginning of electricity. I think if he were to see how far we've come with this, it would (not meaning a pun) blow his mind.

I'm so glad I'm living now. Don't have to light a kerosene lamp...or read by candlelight.

I'm not talking about the romantic sweet scented candles put around today for ambiance...but just to be able to see and to read
If Thomas Edision were to see the computer, and it's all because everyone has stood on his shoulders.

2 comments:

virginia said...

that's a great commentary..worthy of being published..did you ever think of readers digest????

In the house I grew up in, our fuse box was in a closet..to get to it was quite a process..lots of clothes had to be moved. Dad was in complete charge of changing the fuses, they came in different colors and it was a total mystery to me!

I'm not so sure we've come all that far with electricity..I don't remember our lights going off nearly as much then as they do now

\My life today said...

Gosh...that was quite a compliment to give an old woman...just remembering.

Thanks sooo much!