Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud

I went to see a movie last week "The Namesake". It was different in the fact that it was Indian...(not American) and the characters were very into their own culture.

However the young man who was seeking a bride to take to America was screening her, along with his family, to see if she would be able to make this transition.

They asked her a question about whether she felt she could fit in...and she arose, looked at the bridegroom right in the eye, and recited this poem.

I had to learn it in elementary school. Maybe you, dear readers, did it.

This is how it went.

I WANDERED lonely as a cloud That floats on high o'er vales and hills, When all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils; Beside the lake, beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. Continuous as the stars that shine And twinkle on the milky way, They stretched in never-ending line Along the margin of a bay: 10 Ten thousand saw I at a glance, Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. The waves beside them danced; but they Out-did the sparkling waves in glee: A poet could not but be gay, In such a jocund company: I gazed--and gazed--but little thought What wealth the show to me had brought: For oft, when on my couch I lie In vacant or in pensive mood, 20 They flash upon that inward eye Which is the bliss of solitude; And then my heart with pleasure fills, And dances with the daffodils.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Did any of you have to learn this...and if you did, it sure brings back good memories and the days when we had to memorize.

I think I focused on that more than on the movie itself!

4 comments:

virginia said...

wow, what a memory...that was lovely..all the things I had to memorize in school, not only can I NOT remember how they went, I can't even remember which ones I had to learn..

v

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Virginia...I wasn't great at
memorizing...oh silly things came
easy but when it came to anything
else, I found it difficult..but it
was a lovely poem.

\My life today said...

Well I really do appreciate your comments Pat and Virginia.

You are not just good neighbors...I consider you very good friends.

hilda

\My life today said...

Well I really do appreciate your comments Pat and Virginia.

You are not just good neighbors...I consider you very good friends.

hilda