Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Older blogs I've resurrected

=

Wednesday, November 19, 2008


I wonder if anyone else remembers..or am I too old?

Thoughts drift in and out of my mind at no particular time of the day. These musings just appear.

Like for instance...the little slot that used to be on bathroom medicine cabinets for men to drop their razor blades in. Wonder what happened when it all filled up.

Did anybody's Mother make 'orange candy' out of the pealings of naval oranges and I don't know what the other ingredients were...but I loved it.

We used to take a clove of garlic and rub it on a piece of toasted rye bread...and so delicious.

We used to take our tablets or notebooks and drop ink on it and create Roarch Tests and see if we could identify what it appeared to be.

We didn't use a kazoo to make music...took a comb with a piece of tissue paper or toilet paper...and if it didn't tickle your lips to much...compose our own beautiful music.

I wonder if anyone had to wear 'snuggies' on cold days...tops and bottoms...embarrassing but oh so warm and cozy.

Just thoughts and more thoughts. My Sister Elayne and I changed our dresses when we came home from school and put on playclothes.
I wore her hand-me-downs since she was 3 years older.

We used to lie on our stomachs with the radio on to do our homework. It was such a natural position for us.

I can still smell the musty smell on trains from the upholstered seats.

Comfortable...but smelly! I can still see the conductor with his gold buttons on his vest and jacket.

Wonder why they always made men's suits with vests. Most men never wore them.

What makes these thoughts clutter my brain at this time in my life...I haven't the faintest....

Sunday, October 12, 2008


Brother Can You Spare A Dime!

Is this what is happening to the world today.

We're on a freefall and nothing seems to stop it. Do we have no brilliant minds left to get us out of this mess.

Were we just taking 'the good life' for granted...and now we get this kick in the you know what.

I wonder what the people who ring the bell at 4 o'clock on Wall Street think...and they have to applaud yet.

Can you imagine standing there and applauding. I can't.

Did we reach the bottom yet...or are we still going down?

Well...one thing for sure...we're all in this together.

Now does that make you feel any better?

Saturday, September 20, 2008


This is my new philosophy!




oops...now you'll know where I'll be keeping my money!

Friday, August 15, 2008


Are we becoming one people under God!

If Obama becomes our president, what does this mean to the Black folks!

That now, finally, we are all even. I don't think so! Blacks still have more menial jobs, spend more time in prisons, and have a poorer education that whites. Now, why did I capitalize blacks and not whites. Do I think of us as having no color while they do.

And their is a caste system in black black and light black like Obama. If he were darker, would he still be so desirable to us!

Maybe statisticians along the road will be able to understand these differences. And what what Hispanics...one out of every 3 people in about 15 years will be a Latino.

So..is this the new 'melting pot'. At the turn of the last century, it was the people coming into Elis Island that gave us this name.

They were given the charming term 'green horns'.

And I musn't forget the Indians...very smart people and they make excellent doctors.

When I hear a symphony orchestra, it seems the orientals take center stage with string instruments...violins, harps, and piano.

So maybe we are meant to blend into one color Under God! The sun is making me so dark, I'm almost not a cacasian.

Spelling bees seem to be won by the Viatnamese ... and so many of the products that we use are made by Chinese.

But they really all want to come to America...so we really must have something going here.

Me....I'm so proud and privileged to live here. If I had been born in Europe, I probably wouldn't have existed 60 years ago.

But I'm here...I'm happy and I'm going to the pool!

Sunday, August 10, 2008


Have I been Rip Van Winkle?

I went to our clubhouse to watch the opening of the Olympics on a larger screen than I have at home. It was spellbinding and I really appreciated the time spent constructing this magnificence.

However, when the countries marched in...it was like I was on a different planet. Half of the countries I never heard of. Did the ocean open up and form more islands and then they became countries.

Did I flunk geography? Was I sleeping when the countries were formed.

Did they change the names to protect the innocent like in Jack Webber?

I can't figure it out. The folks sitting behind me went to a school in New York and they never heard of them either.

When did all these changes take place? I have an old world globe...these countries don't exist on it.

I used to collect stamps...never heard of them and I had them from all over the world.

I'm old...is it possible that I have forgotten their names. They're not so primitive....they know about the Olympics because they sent representatives.

Some countries only had one. Most of them were black. Was Africa all divided up.

How do they earn a living in these countries....are they a happy people. We know so little about them.

The longer I live ... the more confused I become.

Are our children aware of these names. Do they ever visit the United States....are they friendly.

It's like they're from another planet. Maybe I need to go back to school?

Today we see China promoting the Olympics for grand propaganda purposes, reintroducing itself to the world for what it expects to be its dominant century. But in 1958 China wanted nothing to do with the rest of the world. Mao Zedong's People's Republic withdrew from the Olympics altogether that year in an ideological snit over the refusal of Brundage and his IOC cohorts to ban Taiwan, which called itself the Republic of China and was run by Chiang Kai-shek, Mao's old antagonist. In retreating from the Olympics, China denounced Brundage as "a tool of the imperialistic State Department of the United States."
The context was different, but the central political question as the Rome Olympics neared was the same as it is now: how should the world deal with China? The issue was debated that year by Vice President Richard Nixon and Sen. John F. Kennedy during the presidential campaign, and Brundage and the IOC became embroiled in it as well. The United States did not recognize Mao's mainland government, Mao did not recognize Chiang's island government and the IOC had nothing but troubl

All I ever learned about China was from Pearl Buck and it wasn't very flattering about their girl babies.

Today...half of all the products we buy come from China.  I'd sure would like to get away from this practice...but it's virtually impossible....



















Thursday, July 17, 2008


My old telephone directory!

One of the last things I packed when we moved to Florida was the telephone book. I might need it!

Well, it's been 20 years now and my life has changed a lot and so has the info in the phone book. Two decades of decayed and yellowed pages of the people I once had daily interchange with.

Now it's a phone call and Christmas cards...and as the years melt into one another...it seems like light years away.

I believe I have grown in ways since we left. In other ways we were important people in our town especially to little boys and girls who wanted toys.

I don't need this book any longer. I can get all this information on my computer in a second.........anybody's number and address.

Progress has intervened and I just love it.

Why am I having qualms about ditching it. It's one of the last things I have left from New Kensington, Pa. other than my memories.

After my father moved to Florida, he would go over all the businesses in the downtown area...and he recalled them all. I didn't realize it then, but it was a memory test of his.

Now I find myself doing exactly the same thing....just thinking and remembering. It wasn't all that beautiful or great...but it was where I grew up...my childhood....my young married life.

Now I'm donating it to solid waste management...maybe it can be recyled into more paper...maybe it can enter this century.

I'm letting go....... I have a P.S. to this blog......almost everyone owns a smart phone, an i pad or another kind of electronic device...and most of these you can talk uncondionally for as long as you need to talk

Saturday, June 28, 2008


Reality shows

Have you noticed lately how every show on TV is a reality show?

Bad language and violence are more subdued now...and it's time for everyone to participate the way it's happening...right now.

From dog-training, apprenticing, dating, dancing, singing, cooking....it's all about being able to compete. Even dieting...getting weighed in once a week. Or even...are you smarter than a 5th Grader! And let's go a step farther...going on the Judge Judy show for a judgment. Matter of fact, I just stumbled on another about buying fixer-uppers and getting a crew to make it look like it was just built.

Now competition is a strong word. If you're in a circus reality...you can break your neck..because they're performing without a net.

But we just casually sit and watch and be entertained..

I do believe that many of these young people would never get exposure to the audiences if it wasn't for these shows popping up.

But I think that we've lost the reality to fantasy...and everything is just for our entertainment.

We simply just sit and watch. Maybe that's why we're not getting as upset as we should over the stock market. Is that just another reality show...and then they're going to make it better?

I dunno....but something better happen soon.

Or maybe it's like Shakespeare said...The World's a Stage Where We All Play a Part'. This show has no script...it's improvisation...we make it up as we go along...hopefully being right half the time.

So does that mean we're all in one big reality show on earth?

Saturday, June 14, 2008


Chicken Little

How many hundreds of thousands of chickens have we tried to be creative with? I know you're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition...but now I must concentrate on this chicken thing.

Each country has different cooking styles for this unlucky bird whose main reason for living is to give us eggs and then let us feed on him.

I'll tell you what really disturbs me. When I go to the supermarket and I see their rotisserie with all the chicken, side by side, with their wings at their side, roasting and rotating while their juices flow.

Perhaps I should become a vegetarian!

Dog eat dog world!

Anyhow today I'm in the process of doing something with breasts...not mine...a chicken whose fate is to be not long-lived.

Did he enjoy his little bit of time on earth? Does he have a brain.

I know he has a heart and a liver...but I've never heard of chicken brains. I've heard of cow brains...but what about this unfortunate creature.

Am I spoiling my appetite for what I am about to cook!!!! MAYBE.

Monday, May 26, 2008


My telephones

Our first phone was installed when I was 3 but I remember it.

No more running next door to make a phone call or receive one.

It was one with 2 pieces...you spoke in the speaker part and listened with the the ear phone.

When you lifted the handset, a very pleasant, non-computer voice said 'Number Please.

We had a 4-party line and if we were on too long, we heard about it from the other parties...and then we hung up fast.

Later, we got a circular number dial phone and I thought that was really 'up there'. The word high-tech did not come into being yet.

When Jeff was on vacation from college on Chanukah, he said we're all going to Sears and he was going to buy us a 'push button' phone.

Well, I was against this but I went along. That meant he had to un-install the one we had and re-install the new one.

I really thought I would never have telephone service again...but Jeff and Allen worked on this project and when they were finished, we had a dial tone and I knew we were back in business.

Now I have 3 phones...land phone, remote and a cell phone, which Jeff and Donna have charged for me every year....and every year I have tons of minutes on it ... but I forget to use it. I just don't like the quality of it....seems like a toy phone to me.

The phone I have in my bedroom is really snazzy....it's an 'answering machine' which I think is a miracle in itself.

I have 'caller ID' which interrupts me if I'm using the phone.

I also have a 'speaker phone'....and an ID feature which lets me screen calls if I want to.

It also tells me what time the caller has tried to reach me and the day.

I think that even Alexander Graham Bell would be overwhelmed by the wonderfulness that he invented.

What a sensationl invention. And one other feature, I get to use a web-cam and to see and talk to my kids every Sunday when they give me computer lessons...all the things I screwed up with during the week. Because of the phone I have high-speed internet service...all for reading ythe silly jokes.

I'm not complaining...I JUST LOVE IT1
 
I

No comments: