Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Are compasses becoming obsolete?

My kids came to visit recently and they brought with them a new toy...and boy was I ever impressed.

It was a GPS....a directional with a voice actually telling you which way to go..what turns to make...even if you've gone too far to turn back.

They wanted me to show more of an interest in this while they were here...but they were also giving me classes on my computer...and the old brain can only absorb so much...and then I reach my capacity.

So..it's been a few weeks since they left, and since I'm directionally-challenged, I figured this is a 'must have' for me. Maybe I'll get more courage to venture out into the world...and maybe even go to Boca.

So, my friend Virginia and I trot off to Circuit City where they have them for $200. They had many other models...but I just needed basics. How to get where I'm going...and then to get me back home again.

Jeff's had 2 extension cords. One for charging inside the house...and the other to put in the used-to-be cigaret lighter.

The salesman programmed it for our return trip....and we were both duly impressed. Then in the evening when I went to inspect my purchase and study on usage, I discovered it only has one cord for the car...nothing for the house.

So..I took a half hour drive to charge it up...and it barely charged...died immediately.

Does this mean that I would need to drive 100 miles somewhere to find out where I'm going...so I can get it charged.

I don't think so. I never ever return things....but tomorrow is return day at Circuit City. I think they charge a fee for returns...but it's no good the way it is.

I still love the notion of it though!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well don't dispair. Ask the salesman if the tracking system you
bought does have a House charger. If not do a little research on the
computer and find one that comes
complete with both chargers. Mike and I have a compass in our rear
view mirror. Standard feature in the Hyundai sonata. I love it. He
has a great sense of direction, Me
I have to have the directions written down precisely if there is
a glitch, I'm in trouble so you are
not alone my dear.!! Pat

\My life today said...

Hi...Pat...did exactly what you suggested. Virginia came over yesterday and we ordered from their factory a house charger.

That should do the trick.

Now all I need to do is figure out to use it it.

Jeff.Gordon said...

I'm so proud of you for making the leap. I never thought my techno-phobic mother would have a computer, a GPS, and a Tivo!!!