Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Going to Virginia with Virginia

Thoughts from Hilda
These are my thoughts, during average days of my life. They're probably not of any interest to anyone other than my dear friends, my children, my nephews, grandnephews, and other people who have passed through my life.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Virginia visits my kids with me!

When Virginia and I boarded a plane to Washington D.C., Dulles Airport, my kids and V insisted I use a wheel chair...so it was waiting for me when we passed over our boarding passes...and from then on, I was being ushered while my poor friend had to practically run to keep up...and I felt so embarrassed.   I could not get used to this at all.  I felt like I was in Atlantic City being wheeled by an elderly man in a rickshaw.

Then it's time for our security check...V wore socks so she wouldn't get germs from their floor...stupid me, I never thought of that...and besides I couldn't get through right away because I was buzzing.  Yes, I had a metal lipstick tube in my pocket.  I felt like an idiot

We arrived our usual 2 hours early and both of us started reading..but I think  our attentions were on the people who were coming and going.  No recession in this airport.  The younger folks waiting all had computers and they were busily working.   Others were texting or having breakfast.

We finally went over to Checker's and Virginia said she just had to have their french fries.  It was a different kind of meal than I would have eaten at that hour, but I ordered the same thing.   Oh were those ever delicious.  I nibbled at every crumb...I was right to follow her lead.  She said they're famous for that.   What do I know???

Bob and Arlene had taken us to the airport and schlepped our baggage out of their trunk of which I was very grateful.

Anyway, finally we boarded first because I had reserved a wheel chair and I feel like I'm cheating because I'm not really handicapped.

Right before we take off I glance over at Virginia and I notice that she's praying...and again I feel guilty, like I'm riding her shirttails...using her prayer to deliver me safely.

Her prayers were definitely answered because not only did we have a safe journey...but a very pleasant one with Jeff and Donna who met us in the airport with great big smiles and lots of hugs.

What better service...I ask you!

No comments: