Saturday, January 11, 2014

Better than mounds of snow!

While the rest of our country is defrosting, we're de-flooding.   The friendly skies opened wide and torrential rains took the normal  route of gravity and released itself into pouring rain that turned into a loud thunderstorm.

While all this was happening, I pulled the covers around me in my bed  cocoon-fashion and drifted off to sleep.

Glancing out my window the following day, I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing.

A lake covering our entire cul-de-sac.  I looked at my car and most of the tires were drenched in water.

My mind found it hard to take this all in.  You could row a boat down our street.   A person could go swimming.    This could be Venice with gondolas.    Our sewer could not absorb all that water...this is Florida and we have to rely on other means.

Turning on my TV, the only programming being aired was about all the flooding and warnings to stay home.   People were using their digital cameras and sending them to the anchor people and this is the destruction that I saw.

When I used my bathroom, the water overflowed onto the floor waiting for me to sop it up.    Today the sun is shining brightly and there's a nice breeze.

The difference a day makes!

Not until early evening did I realize that our car floors were sopping wet with about 2 inches of water and the car door opener wouldn't respond.

However, I turned the engine on and lo and behold...it ran.

Today is another day and the guy who regularly cleans my car is outside now wet-vacuuming it and trying to dry it out.

I'm concerned now that it might have a mildew smell and that's almost impossible to get rid of. 

It could always be worse!

THIS IS A COMMENT

Ron Troke shared your blog post on Google+
Wow Hilda....this is an amazing story....Mother NAture really is trying our patience this year. The storms are very where even in freezing Canada. I'm Sophie Doodle's Dad and so happy to meet you. Take care...stay dry!



No comments: