Monday, October 28, 2013

Squatting!

Re-living our toy store.  Every year many of our customers used our free lay-a-way plan, and most of these people were on welfare under Johnson's watch..

It was easy for them...and financially good for us in knowing how to order.

I had a dream last night..and it was a replica of the way it happened.

We did not know from 'scanners'.  That was modern technique.

When a customer was creating  a hide-a-way, they would make a big pile of what they were ordering.   I would squat for a very long time with our Gordon Toys order sheets and write down every single item, so that when they came to pick up their toys, it would all be there.

A tablet and a pen and me squatting...that was the combination.

While I was in this beautiful position,  Allen was busy waiting on other customers or stock shelves.  Little did I know that 20 years hence I would be unable to perform this feat.

We were a 'mom and pop' store.

How easy, I realize today, my work would have been if I had a scanner.

 barcode reader (or barcode scanner) is an electronic device for reading printed barcodes. Like a flatbed scanner, it consists of a light source, a lens and a light sensor translating optical impulses into electrical ones. Additionally, nearly all barcode readers contain decodercircuitry analyzing the barcode's image data provided by the sensor and sending the barcode's content to the scanner's output port.

The bar codes were already on the merchandise.   We were very primitive, I realize now.

And this was my dream last night....writing up layaways...and I was soo tired this morning..

Probably if we had stayed in business after the year 1987, we would have become more modernized with a computer too.

Jeff and Paul begged for us to change....but that's the way it was. 

It worked for us!

No comments: