Sunday, July 7, 2013

Goodby WEB TV

I was so proud of my high technology.    Ethel, a good friend of mine, was having a demonstration in her home, about WEB TV.

She asked if I'd like to sit in on it and I said sure.  I had absolutely no idea what it was.

During and after the demonstration, I was hooked...couldn't wait to get it....neither could Ethel.   We loved what we saw.

I didn't have a very large TV then....just 27 inches...and a keyboard...and I was in business.

Leni Cohen rented a storeroom where she gave senior citizens lessons and I came to every one....and I learned.

And my kids were so proud of me.   They actually were visiting when Leni installed this modern appliance that I couldn't live without.

You could send and receive emails....had a search engine...and something called 'pagebuilder' which is what my blog is today.

I used this for 7 years until my kids convinced me that it was now time for a computer.    We argued back and forth about this because I didn't want to give up what I knew.

Well...I have a computer for 5 years now...and I just received this message from Jeff and Donna.

Microsoft is pulling the plug on MSN TV, a service formerly known as WebTV, as Apple ramps up its set-top box efforts.
The pioneering service, one of the first to offer Internet access via television sets, will shut down September 30, Microsoft revealed in an e-mail to subscribers and an FAQ posted to its Web site. WebTV, which was founded by Web entrepreneur Steve Perlman in 1996, was acquired by Microsoft for $425 million in 1997.
WebTV offered television-based e-mail and Web browsing via wireless keyboards but struggled to gain traction with consumers. Microsoft rebranded the service as MSN TV in 2001 to accelerate integration with products such as MSN Messenger and MSN Hotmail.
The software giant even offered the interactive service for free to new MSN online service, but it has largely taken a backseat to the company's focus on the Xbox game console, which also offers Internet access.
Microsoft cited the myriad ways people can now access the Internet as a contributing factor to the service's demise:


All good things must come to an end!

ARLnBOBBY@aol.com
10:05 PM (24 minutes ago)
to me
Hi Hilda, I had web tv-----many moons ago---it was great---I really loved it---easy to use and so portable---when we used to go to Ct. for the summer and rent a cottage---I was able to take it with me and use it there----
take care

No comments: