Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Arts

Two wonderful enjoyments that never go out of style...music and books.  I read a book in 1933 by Pearl Buck, titled 'The Good Earth'. 

Even though Pearl Buck is no longer alive, her Chinese books live on and her readers are as inspired by her writings now as they were many years ago.

Fact is...I want to read it again.  I don't recall much about it, except that I enjoyed it very much.  Probably my friends and I discussed it but I really don't remember...can't dredge it up in my mind.

'All Quiet on the Western Front' was also a classic which I will read again.

I mentioned music..the Masterworks are just as melodic today as the moment the composers wrote them.    Actually, in some modern music, I can hear strains from the masters.    I don't know if they're aware that they're stealing...or it could be that it's just so ingrained in their minds or souls.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it but I still enjoy watching The Lawrence Welk Show on Saturday nights....music that doesn't grow old.

I can't say that I like today's vocalists...they all seem to holler and scream...but perhaps it's my age.

In fact...I'll say it is.

No comments: