Saturday, December 29, 2012

My nephew Paul

Tuesday, October 16, 2007


This letter is from Paul, my nephew!


Thanks for asking about the ride. The Sea Gull Century ride was very nice and not as difficult as in Virginia and Maryland because it was relatively flat. But that means no coasting so you pedal all the time and it can get windy near the ocean. See photos on the web site (http://www.seagullcentury.org/) and also click on Ride Details and the PDF route map.



I have a book on long distance cycling and Lance's training book so I was prepared. I used my training data and the Reston metric century (100 km which is 65 miles) data (I rode that in August –-- much more hilly) to predict that I could do the 100 miles in an average of 14 MPH and 10-11 hours elapsed at a cadence average of between 80 and 90 RPM on a flat route with wind. This would keep me aerobic (60-65% to 80-85% of max heart rate) and not cross over to anaerobic heart rate (85% max) which kills the energy level (latic acid "burn" starts at about 85% of max heart rate). I finished with 14.0 MPH average at 10 hours elapsed and 7:08 actual ride time with 85 RPM cadence average. The time difference was in time spent at rest stops every 20-22 miles. Ending energy to spare and an ending sprint! My speed, time and cadence parameters were right on, as planned! Next could be a double metric century (125 miles).



(I just love technical and analytical sports!). (where one doesn't need a lot of strength or coordination).



Mostly a nice ride when we were on small roads through wooded areas. Long flat stretches through farm areas were not so interesting. I did not have time to look for the wild ponies on Assateague (“ass-fatigue”) Island.



Rider stats next in forwarded message.



Paul
Posted by Picasa



Paul is my nephew of whom Im very proud. Not only does he enjoy participating in this great sport...but he's keeping healthy by keeping his glucose level where it should be.

To me, Paul is still a boy! But truth to tell, he just celebrated his 60th...and he'll remain young forever because of his outlook on life and the way he exercises. He doesn't want to take insulin...so he really works at it.

He started training many many months ago for this Bike Century which is 100 miles.

Now to me...I get tired just thinking about it...but I spoke to Paul and he said he could have gone farther without any problem.

Am I proud...or am I proud! Keep up the good work, Paul!

When I started biking, there were no gears...just pedal. We lived on steep hills and if you were of a mind to cycle uphill, you had to stand to give yourself leverage..at least I did.

Biking was my first independent way of transportation and I was thrilled with it. I was in control...I could just go.

My parents let my sister and I buy a rear-view mirror to mount on our bike, and I think I was so busy glancing in the rear view that sometimes I forgot to look where I was going.

Many times we were daring and rode with our feet on the handlebars.

I think I would have killed Paul or Jeff if I had seen them do this. Also sometimes, we rode 2's. One sat..and the other stood pedaling.
Oh what fun.

No comments: