Sunday, October 21, 2012

Have to 'red up' ...Home of the Steelers!

I come from a little town in Southwestern Pennsylvania...called New Kensington.   It's not new anymore....fact is...,,,   it's old.   It's 20 miles as the crow flies from  Pgh.

There's no industry anymore and most of the downtown is all boarded up, which is very sad because once it was very busy.   On a Saturday night when I was young, all the coalminers would come to 'town'...and it was very exciting.  At that time we had 4 movie theaters to choose from...now there is none.  Even the hospital moved.  Might be what would be referred to as a 'ghost town'...and that's scary, no pun intended.  Alcoa was the big industry then...and it pulled out!

Our toy store, Gordon Toys was located there and we stayed until the town literally died.  It's now considered a 'bedroom community'..people live there but don't work there.

Anyway we spoke a different kind of English  and folks would poke fun at us.   And even today, if I hear someone use one of the phrases...it does my heart good...someone from my neighborhood....my hometown.

Many of the sounds and words found in the speech of Pittsburghers are popularly thought to be unique to the city. This is reflected in the term "Pittsburghese," the putative sum of these features in the form of a dialect. However, few of these features are restricted solely to Pittsburgh or the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. Instead, many of them are found throughout southwestern Pennsylvania, .
. .
Speakers of Pittsburgh English are sometimes called "Yinzers", in reference to their use of the 2nd-person plural pronoun "Yinz" The word "yinzer" is sometimes heard as pejorative, indicating a lack of sophistication, although the term is now used in a variety of ways.[ 
Southern people say...y'all.    So, wherever you come from...odd sentences surface.  New Yorkers say you'll come by me...instead of saying visit.
So...my point is...whenever I know that company is coming, and I'm not the neatest person on this planet, I say I have to 'red up'....and hope whoever hears me will understand..I'm just putting clutter out of sight.

Yep...I'm from Pittsburgh.

No comments: