Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Nature letting us know who's in charge!



 


Friday, September 11, 2009


Cutting back before a hurricane! Sounds  alerted me to something going on in my backyard.

I peeked through my verticals anxious to see what was happening and  I watched. 

  It wasn't just entertainment!  Three treemen ,  working very hard,  hacking at my tree that was 20 times higher than they were tall.



It was a 'happening' all right. The 'tree clipper people' were outside my window  with a large saw  cutting down a  huge branch of a gigantic  tree in my backyard that must have been young about 50 years ago.  I could tell by the markings on the trunk that it went through many seasons even if this is Florida..

Now this wasn't just any branch. It was part of the tree...but almost as big as the tree trunk itself...and should there be torrential rains and wildly gusting winds, this could find its way right through my window.
So interesting to watch. They worked very hard with not a movement being wasted.

  These men, who could speak no English, were in complete control of chopping my tree in the event of a hurricane.

 I remembered my camera sitting on top of my desk...and this is the picture  I captured  through my  window.  In spite of  the black bars, I was able to put into focus, these eager Haitian workmen.

 Our condo being  alert to our weather predictions  gives me a feeling of  protectiveness.

  In the meantime, I've stocked up on all kinds of boxed and tinned  foods and  know I would be able to  survive a month without starving, even having company over who didn't think ahead to bother shopping.  I was like a little chipmunk storing all kinds of goodies.

Most of all I detested the night when it was pitchblack and I would sing...

'hello darkness my old friend...I've come to be with you again

 I own one of the first hand held transistor radios, and amazingly it still plays.  What a gadget.   This little radio is over 30 years old and requires one 9 volt battery and is the best company I could want.

   This is how I occupied myself, listening to people call in to the "talk shows", which gave me a feeling of being  part of the world.   Each caller had a different story to tell.

  Some callers  would say they're stuck in a 6 story condo and the elevators, of course, weren't working, and what should they do...how could they get help.   They needed their medications.   I became very involved in the outside world, unable to do anything but listen and hope they would be able to get some help.

Then I'd go into a troubled sleep...but the very next morning...the sun was brightly shining...and all was right with the world.

No comments: