Sunday, June 9, 2013

From my friend Nancy Wainer ... so warm!



I never thought I would get another dog. The pain of losing my beloved Skippy was so intense, I didn't want to ever have to go through that again. But... I saw this little one's photo on one of the rescue sites that I had signed up on a long, long time ago ( truly never  thinking I would get another dog as I just said)  and I knew he had to be mine. There were several other families who wanted him - but The Universe must have known he was mine, or his wonderful foster mother must have heard the pleas in my emails and through the phone calls,  and I was the one selected to be His Person. 

Steve and I went to Connecticut yesterday to meet the huge transport van called AlphaDogTransport which is airconditioned but quite dark. Rows and rows of crates  - the full length of the van and stacked on shelves as well - with all sized and variety of dogs in them, going to their forever homes from all over the South.  My puppy came from  Missouri - he was rescued along with his siblings. They were not going to be treated well and I am SO grateful to the rescue organization - all volunteers - who do this work -and the many other people and places who are concerned with animal cruelty.  Sundae ( I named him this as he is vanilla, mocha/coffee with a little bit of chocolate and he is so sweet and he licked us the minute  he met us) had been fostered from six weeks until ten in Illinois. His foster Mom, when she put him on the van she emailed:  " Your baby is on his way. Please let me know when he is safely snuggled in your arms."  Sundae was on that van for two full days and nights, poor thing. And yet, when he got off the van and was handed to us ( me, crying tears of such relief and joy) he - and all the other dogs who's People were waiting for them at the same stop.... dog after dog, being hand carried (the ones who were not too big) by the wonderful, gentle men who do the driving) and presented to their new owners - seemed to KNOW they were being rescued/adopted.Tails wagging, such a joyful reunion after having waited the weeks since we all knew that we had found our pet...  It was VERY,VERY touching - I looked over and Steve had tears in his eyes, too... 

We split the driving on the way home and  I held him part of the way and Steve held him the other half. Sundae loves his toys, chew sticks and stuffed animals. He is so playful and sweet. We don't know what he is - part Maltese but maybe part terrier or shitzu - but whatever he is, he is here, h-o-m-e. I know the pain of losing an animal and I will treasure every single day I have with him and do my best to focus on just the delight ahead. He will have all the love and care any pet could want.  Steve is sitting with him and they are watching Sunday morning news programs and we are in love. 

No comments: