Saturday, June 2, 2012

Out of the loop!

Sitting in a waiting room at the Cleveland Clinic in Fl. were about 35 people waiting to be helped, along with a lot of their spouses.

If you wanted to, you could watch television with sub titles...or do what everyone else but me was doing.
They all had their heads lowered and .. no they were not
praying...they were working with their hand-held
gadgets...smart phones...dumb phones..I pads..I pods..Androids,
E Readers..GP S's...cameras and who knows what else.

 Maybe they were just playing games...and not one of them was working on crossword puzzles.   No sirree!

Husbands  and wives were unmindful of each other...they were just too busy while  their fingers were moving in  frantic motion..as they were concentrating with frowns lining their foreheads..
There were no knitters or craft people here....in this office, along with all the other offices  in the world, people have entered the age of technology.

Ah...they were 'with it'.

I was not!   Actually, I felt embarrassed...so much so, that I almost took out my cell phone to appear to be one of them....and push some buttons.  I had no one to call!

I wondered to myself whatever happened to the art of conversation...or reading a book with real pages...

I believe I belong in a different time zone...where just 'thinking' is a passtime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what were you doing at Cleveland Clinic? You are so right. Isn't it sad that we no longer converse with people. I remember a time when you sat in a waiting room and tried to comfort one another or just made small talk to the people sitting next to you..Met some very nice people this way, also in airports, etc. It's kind of sad. I'm all for technology but we have lost our humanity a little here and it frankly scares me that we have become "robots".

virginia said...

a waiting room is like an elevator, both places make people uncomfortable, the art of conversation is gone, no eye contact, technology comes in mighty handy, i was in a dr waiting room just this morning, thank god for a big screen tv, one man was playing you tube on his phone, loud and annoying, nothing but the Queen on the tv...so nobody had to say anything...as for me, i read a book...times are a chang'in! for the good??