Friday, May 2, 2008

The Reward!

If you were very good in school, you had the honored privilege of dusting the chalk erasers outside. Now this task wasn't delegated to just anybody...you had to be on your teacher's 'best side' to be allocated this job.

I never got to do it! Could that be why all of my life I have suffered from low esteem. Sometimes the teacher didn't even bother with her big eraser...she just used the heel of her hand.

When she was in a hurry or bad mood, she'd let the chalk screech...and that's a musical note like none other.

I'll never know the answers to that. Do they still use chalk...or do they use markers now....not on a blackboard, but a green board.

Another usta=was thing in my imagination!

1 comment:

virginia said...

you're on a great roll...keep'em coming...

i loved my parent's front porch...my son now has the swing...my favorite memories are of mom and dad sitting out there in the evenings..they never talked much but after 50 some years, what was left to say?....i put a million miles on that swing myself....

now for erasers, i got to dust the erasers all the time in grade school..not because i was the teacher's pet, but because my mother was a teacher...that was my after-school job...i didn't even know that someone was "picked" to do that? you'd think if that was something so special that everyone would get a chance to do it, wouldn't you?

i don't know what they use today in school rooms...probably those magic boards...I do know that you can buy chalk board paint and turn a board into the old fashioned chalk board to write on at home..that's kind of neat

keep writing miss hilda!!!