Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Charge Card

The year was 1967 and Mastercard came into being.

Is this a friend or foe? It's ruined many people who haven't the faintest idea of spending.

It's helped me out a lot. My husband Allen insisted I use mine every so often so that I could always have good credit.

And to this day, I carry very little cash. When I go into a restaurant or a small business, I pay cash.

For everything else...that plastic card is slid into the place where it checks to see if my card is usable.

Time was when it wasn't done electronically. When we had our toy store, we had an enormous thick book about the size of our Yellow Pages, and we had to check the number by looking.

I never told my husband Allen that I couldn't see such close print so I made a pretense of looking...then I accepted.

It worked! Never did we stumble on an over-extended card.

Some customers asked if we would give them the 4 percent discount if they paid cash.

It didn't matter to us...we agreed.

I just love my credit card and if you're in a pinch the ATM machines.

It's done much harm...but much good! You gotta weigh the card or the person using the card.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well werent' you nice to give your
customers a discount for paying
cash..I love the story about someone wanting to pay cash but was
told by the proprieter sorry we
only accept credit...Now that's
crazy!!. I can't say I mind the
plastic card, but I can see how many people get in trouble with it.
We use it to get points for our
plane trips back to see our children and grandson, but we pay
off the balance in full every month. It did come in hand too when
I was in Ireland. You don't want to
carry cash there. Of course you have to use their euros and I think
you get a better rate of exchange
with the credit card. We only use
one, mastercard. I cut up all the
other cards years ago, even the
store credit cards, J.C. Penney,
Macy's, Sears, too much..