Thursday, April 17, 2014

So very long ago

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Time Was!

With all the talk about the economy and jobs, it suddenly  occurred to me that I actually never went looking for a job.  Work came to me.

I'm not a very gutsy person so I guess I have to consider myself pretty lucky. 

My sweet Mother whom I adored died when I was going on 16...and when I graduated from high school at 17, my father sent me to commercial college.

I was still reeling from my Mother's death. 

This school received a phone call from our local radio station that they needed a continuity writer...so I was sent.  WKPA was our 'Voice of the Valley'...and we signed off with the local sunset.

I was hired on the spot...and spots are what I had to write.

I was sooo green...didn't even know what a radio spot was.   But I loved...adored this job.

I ended up being a girl Friday also...doing everything...selecting music...picking out classical music that I couldn't even pronounce....and selecting electrical transcriptions ...that we played on two large turntables.

A short while after that...tape players were used.

I loved my boss and all the announcers who worked there.   They would gather everyday in my office to 'gossip'...and some days in order to get a commercial on the air, I needed to go to another office to write it.

I stayed on 9 years until I was 7 months pregnant.

My only other job after that was in our own toy store where Allen and I worked side by side...enjoying the children enjoying their toys.

And we knew that once they pass that child-spot in their lives, they could ne're return again.

I think about all this frequently because....this was my life!  And good it w

No comments: