Sunday, December 5, 2010

We're Safe...for this year at least!!

Lots of people claim they wouldn't want to make Florida their retirement home because of our hurricanes.

They are awful...and I've lived through a couple...and it wasn't pleasant.    Actually scary to say the least, especially when  you've lost your power for 8 days...and the nights are sooooo very dark.

There's a song I used to sing to myself during these periods...."Hello Darkness My Old Friend--I've Come to Be With You Again".

Anyway, High Point, my development discovered the way to prevent the horrors of hurricanes....they bought a generator....and I pass this everyday on my way to our pool, and it's the best un-used thing we own.

The batteries are patiently waiting...my propane grill is properly full...my hurricane lamps fit nicely on my end table....and the battery fan is hidden safely away in a closet.

So....I'll use my cans of tuna and my salmon..spread my peanut  butter on some of the bread that I've frozen away...for when it  was needed.

Yippee......I won't worry for another year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, We can all sigh a sound of relief that we have survived another hurricane season, Even though I was gone most of the summer, it seems late Sept. Oct. and even November is the busiest season in the tropics. the holiday season is upon us now with people
going to parties, celebrating, etc. Now it's time to be careful on
the roadways. Happy Hannukuh to my
Jewish friends, Merry Christmas to
my christian friends and Happy Holidays to everyone else...Enjoy

\My life today said...

Hi my friend..happy everything to everyone!

virginia said...

good to see so many new blogs...i enjoyed each one

i, too, am glad we slid by another hurricane season....i was taken to task by several of my out-of-state friends when i moved here yet again (for the 3rd time) back in mid 05 because of the storms..

then shortly after erratic weather started all over the country, they
have gone totally silent

i think Ruth's birthday was the hi-light of my whole year, listening to her plan it brought joy to my heart

it was such a fun evening and she is a delightful hostess

as for whether lyrics or melody came first...i don't know but you had an engaging way of trying to figure it out

sure enjoyed story of "little Jeff's" piano lesson days

odd you would mention your piano tuner was blind...the tuner that used to come to my house when i was young and struggling through 12 long piano lesson years, was also blind

a worthy profession for the sightless because other senses become more acute..interesting!

keep writing!

\My life today said...

Virginia...thanks for your kind comments to an old woman's writing.