Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My old shoemaker shop

I can go back in time.   If I try really hard, I can smell the little shoemaker shop that I went to when I was a child.

His building was just a tad bigger than an outhouse, but it was a very special place.  Was that glue I smelled or leather or what...but I loved that smell.  He always had a beautiful calendar on his wall...the only decoration.

And our shoemaker was such a kind man.  His son went to school with me  and was always dressed well, so his father must have made a decent living.

Now this was in the 30's when we just didn't go out and buy new shoes...no, we had them soled.

I never hear of anyone getting a hole in the bottom of their shoe today...but we did back in the day.

Did we walk more?  Was that it.  I remember the poor kids used to line the bottom of their shoes with cardboard.  Did we play harder? 

We got new shoes when we outgrew them....not when they wore out.

Those were the days....

No comments: