Saturday, December 30, 2017

Monday, May 19, 2014

Thursday, May 28, 2009

My first library was in a storeroom! written 5 years ago


We had to be very quiet...not speak a single word...or we would have been kicked out!
There were no paperbacks back then...only bound books and they were very precious.
My first document that I personally owned and was responsible for, was my library card. It was sacred. Nothing should happen to it! And if a book was overdue, I felt mortified...like I'd created a crime...all for 2 cents. The librarian took her job very seriously and, if asked, would refer you to a special section.
Besides getting a book for myself, my Mother wanted me to bring her back a novel. I recall asking for Edna Ferber....she's the lady who wrote the book that the musical Showboat was all about.
My Mother was an avid reader and during dinner she would present a book review to us letting us know what it was all about. How interested our little family of 4 was in her presentation. So, not only did we digest the best cooking in the world...and we had entertainment with it.
That was my Mother....and I adored her so much!
Now I go to a big library on Hagen Ranch Road...and what a myriad of books from which to choose....more authors than ever before in history. And most of them are very good...but we can't read everything so we must be select.
Ruth, my friend and next door neighbor, usually brings me back something that is just to my liking...no violence....no C.I.A. stuff...just lots of emotions.
Having a good book to read is such a great feeling.

No comments: